decor

In with the New

As seasons change, so can your living space.

With spring representing growth, it is good to take this upcoming seasonal change as an opportunity to spruce up an existing space with something more refreshing and invigorating.

Adding even the smallest touch to a room is all it takes to develop an uplifting environment that will leave you feeling restored.

As students, decorating your dorm or apartment space may seem like an impossible mission, but don’t let the size of your living area stop you from expressing your style for the awakening spring season.

Here are a few small tips to consider when turning a stark white room into a creative and innovative space.

1. Repurposed pieces

No one says buying new is always the answer. Restoring an old item into something more useful to you and your space is simple yet affordable. Thrift stores and antique shops are overflowing with merchandise that can be adjusted to something more personal to you. Whether it’s an old piece of artwork or a renovated bookshelf, there are many ways to make inexpensive items more functional.

2. Bright colors in pillows and accent accessories

A simple way to brighten up even the smallest space is by adding vibrant and energetic colors throughout. A minimal amount of color can go a long way; just be careful not to overdo it as that can make a space feel cluttered and chaotic.

3. Texture, texture, texture

As college students, we are surrounded by technology and can easily lose sight of our sense of touch. Adding a simple faux fur blanket or textured headboard is an easy way to regain our sense of feel while giving a seemingly small space more dimension.

4. Mixed patterns

Mixed patterns can surely create an interesting statement to what might be a bland design. Using a mixed pattern comforter or throw blanket can easily anchor large furniture pieces to an existing space that may otherwise be quite ordinary.

5. Bring plants indoors

Easy-to-care-for plants are a good way to bring life into a space while providing a pop of color that we would normally only see outside. According to Pantone’s 2017 color of the year, “Greenery” is meant to signify renewal and revival. It can be described as “Nature’s Neutral.” Plants are also beneficial for helping to keep the air clean as well.